Search This Blog

Thursday 28 May 2020

Daily Devotions for Difficult Days [72] God's Escape Route Promise

                                                            architectural photography of building

No Way Out?

Pastor Richard Wurmbrand - I've mentioned him quite a bit in these posts - arrived at the end of his rope while he was in prison. "We are surrounded only by hatred and wickedness. Every day they mock and beat and torture us. It is years since I saw a man who loves me or heard one single good word."

He wrote to tell his son about the thirty pills he had hidden away for the day when he could take it no longer.

But that day did not come.

But in 1964, after 14 long years, he was suddenly given amnesty. Two Jewish organisations fearful that Wurmbrand would not be released in spite of the amnesty put up $10,000 to secure his release (the normal fee was $1900).

And so, before Wurmbrand lost his mind or life or both, he was released. And you can hear his weighty talks on YouTube (though his number of "hits" are small fry compared to "This cat will make you laugh" videos, such are preferences of modern man.)

God promises this to his people:

"No temptation [trial] has seized you except what is common to man. God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." (1 Corinthians 10:13)

God will never allow his people to be tempted more than they can bear but he will - sometimes at the last moment - provide a "way out."

Let's explore this wonderful promise.

God knows our Limits

The first thing we should note is that the Lord knows our limits. Of course he does, for he was - and still is - a man himself.

One day right after his baptism Jesus was led into the desert to be tempted for 40 days and 40 nights. We might think that because he could not succumb the temptation was not that severe. It's exactly the other way round. The more one can resist, the greater (and longer) the temptation. A sea wall that gives way quickly experiences far less of a battering than a sea wall that will never give way.

And when the man Jesus could stand it no longer, God brought it to an end and sent in his troops, angels who "attended him." (Matthew 4:11).

God knows how much you can bear and how much I can bear. He knows our limits, our breaking points.

God won't allow us to break

We know that Satan wants to destroy us because God had to set limits to him when he came after faithful Job. "This far and no further," was God's command.

Because God knows our breaking point, he won't allow the trial to reach that place: he will intervene beforehand.

The point we think is too great is often less distressing than the point God thinks is too great: God knows we can handle more than we think we can, not least because he is with us in the trial.

Paul has to remind us that we are not on our own.  "No temptation [trial] has seized you except what is common to man." When we are thinking, "I'm the only one in the world facing this," Paul says, "No, you're in good company."

Read the eleventh chapter of Hebrews, read Foxe's Book of Martyrs, or the Martyr's Mirror, a long account of persecutions, especially against the Anabaptists.

Read Sermons from Solitary Confinement by Richard Wurmbrand or The Pastor's Wife, Sabina's account of her husband's years of incarceration.

The valleys we pass thorugh may be far deeper than we may wish, but God promises that he will not allow us to reach the point where we can no longer bear it.

A Way of Escape

Just when we think we are at our wit's end, the Lord will step in and provide a way of escape, a way out, so that we can stand up under it.

How often this is the Lord's way! We can see no way out, we can see no light at the end of the tunnel, but all of a sudden and mysteriously, God provides a resolution, a troop of angels, a cheque in the post.

On many occasions growing up as a MK (Missionary's Kid) in both Pakistan and in the UK, God intervened in a moment of financial crisis with a mysterious unexpected gift from an unknown or unxpected donor.

When my wife and I have ourselves been in ministry situations which did not pay enough to keep a family of six, we experienced remarkable and supernatural interventions.

God's interventions are often "last minute" to test and grow our faith, and then to increase our faith in his mighty power to deliver.

Summing it All Up

Satan's career is all about breaking us, but God is in the business of making us. And he makes us most when he tests us the greatest. Don't ask me why he couldn't have chosen or found a different or easier way! 

So if you are passing through a trial, be comforted and take peace from the promise of God not to allow you to reach breaking point.

Hold him to his promise in your prayers and ask him to show you the escape route, and soon.

A SONG FOR THE DAY
We may have chosen this song before, but it is so apt for today's promise, that we choose it again.

When I fear my faith will fail, Christ will hold me fast;
When the tempter would prevail, He will hold me fast.
I could never keep my hold through life's fearful path;
For my love is often cold; He must hold me fast.

He will hold me fast, He will hold me fast;
For my Saviour loves me so, He will hold me fast.

Those He saves are His delight, Christ will hold me fast;
Precious in his holy sight, He will hold me fast.
He'll not let my soul be lost; His promises shall last;
Bought by Him at such a cost, He will hold me fast.

He will hold me fast, He will hold me fast;
For my Saviour loves me so, He will hold me fast.

For my life He bled and died, Christ will hold me fast;
Justice has been satisfied; He will hold me fast.
Raised with Him to endless life, He will hold me fast
'Till our faith is turned to sight, When He comes at last!

He will hold me fast, He will hold me fast;
For my Saviour loves me so, He will hold me fast.

Keith Getty

You can hear it sung movingly HERE.

A PRAYER FOR THE DAY

Our loving Father in heaven,

We thank you that we have a Man in heaven, your beloved Son, who has known every grief that wrings the human heart.

We thank you that he is a sympathetic High Priest.

We thank you for your Spirit, the divine Comforter, who works in our hearts to bring us your comfort and peace in times of trial.

Teach us to trust in all of your pomises, and especially this one today.

We lift up our persecuted brothers and sisters. We bring to you those who serve you across the globe in difficult circumstances.

Deliver us from the evil one we pray and help us to look for your soon and certain deliverance with anticipation and even joy.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

Photo by MILKOVÍ on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment