Search This Blog

Saturday 30 May 2020

Daily Devotions for Difficult Days [74] God's Promise to the Weak

                    Smoking Flax (Charles Spurgeon) - YouTube

Famous Last Words


Someone once asked me "What are the daftest words you have ever spoken?" With so many to choose from, I was spoilt with choice. The first one to mind was "I will never have to buy another computer!" I was so excited by the high specs of my new desktop I was convinced it would last forever! Four or five computers later...

Early in our marriage, I remember saying to my lovely wife, Yvonne, "I never suffer from depression." And it was true. I was born with the chemical make-up of an effervescent always-happy, always-positive personality. But those were the days before full-time ministry began.

Thirty years later...

In full-time ministry, whether missionary, pastor, evangelist, or whatever, you begin to carry greater responsibilities, experience satanic attacks and feel the sorrows of those who love and serve.

And along with those burdens come moments of darkness.

Charles Spurgeon once began a sermon like this:

"I almost regret this morning that I have ventured to occupy this pulpit, because I feel utterly unable to preach to you for your profit... I have been utterly unable to study.. Oh Spirit of God magnify thy strength in thy servant's weakness, and enable him to honour his Lord, even when his soul is cast down within him."

Even the great Charles Spurgeon!

Sometimes we are Weak

There is a wonderful promise in Isaiah 42:3 that runs like this:

"A bruised reed he will not break and a smouldering wick he will not snuff out."

There are images from nature here.

Imagine a reed battered by the wind or ground underfoot by some creature. Bruised and sore it could be broken by an ant. If someone should trample it again, the reed will fracture.

And here's a candle or oil lamp whose flame the wind has just blown out. You know how wicks smoke alot after you puff them out. The wick billowing with smoke is glowing but not on fire, and in just a short time it will grow cold. For sure if someone as much breathes near it, let alone on it, the smouldering remains of the once-bright fire will die.

Both of those images are parables of human experience, and espeically of weak human experience.

Isaiah says, God says, that there are times when those who love and trust God will feel "out for the count", bruised and smouldering and close to spiritual death. The apostle Paul admitted there were times when he felt in his heart "the sentence of death."

These "out for the count" moments may come from without or within. They may be singular or come in threes -  or even three hundreds.

God's Promise to the Weak

What does God promise to his people in these dark moments?

"A bruised reed he will not break and a smouldering wick he will not snuff out."

Oh Bruised Reed, there may be enemies who want you broken - I can think of one....

Oh Smouldering Wick, there may be enemies who want you snuffed out - I know of one....

...but know this, Oh Bruised Reed and Smouldering Wick, that God will not destroy you, God will not break you, God will not put you out.

The Gentleness of Jesus

When dear Peter had messed up big time, as we all can do, Jesus came to him gently. So gently, that he scarcely knew he was being restored, and so gently that none of the other disciples were aware of the sensitive process.

I've got a future for you, Peter. Do you love me? God is the God of Hope. Feed my sheep, feed my lambs, Jesus said. Keep going, don't give up, there's a future ministry for you.

And guess what? Within 50 days or so, Peter was God's Day of Pentecost Preacher!

From Chief Christ Denier to Champion Church Captain, all because the Lord Jesus does not break the bruised reed or blow out the smouldering wick, but instead he heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

Summing it All Up

Sometimes we can't see fifty days ahead of us, and when that is so, we need to hold onto the promise of God in this present moment and in the rest of the moments of this day, that God is faithful and he won't break the reed or snuff out your fire.

A SONG FOR THE DAY
As I write this blog a lovely old song  comes to mind. (Oh I do wish someone would take the old songs, breathe new life into them and put them on YouTube!)

I am weak but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I'll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

Thro' this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.

When my feeble life is o'er,
Time for me will be no more;
Guide me gently, safely o'er
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.

Annonymous

You can join in HERE.

A PRAYER FOR THE DAY

Our loving and gentle Father in Heaven,

We come to you this beautiful morning with hearts filled with thanksgiving. We offer to your our praise and worship for all your kindess to us.

We thank you that you are gentle to those who are weak. We thank you that you are in the business of strengthening bruised reeds and relighting smoking wicks.

We pray for all who are weak today, that you would strengthen them with your almighty power, the very omnipotent power that raised Jesus from the dead.

And we ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment