Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 June 2020

Daily Devotions for Difficult Days [84] Walk Tall, Walk Strong and Walk Fast

"The feet of a deer"

Trying Times

When the new Covid era dawned upon us someone who worked in the emergency relief sector predicted that the novelty factor of living under lockdown would one day wear off and the new "normal" would, in due time, engender a measure of fatigue.

I think we can all see that around us. We are now digging in for the long haul and we need to both realise that and to prepare for it.

We are all going to need resources of strength and perseverance beyond ours weak selves!

Some words from Habakkuk will help us here. In the very last verse of his short prophecy he says:

"The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights."

Habakkuk is relying on God's supernatural strength and power, and with that power he will possess the boundless energy of a deer!

The World of Habakkuk

Let's remember the times of the good prophet Habakkuk. He was prophecying in difficult days. The northern nation of Israel had already gone into exile because of her sin and idolatry and the southern nation of Judah was due to suffer the same fate soon - and for the same reason.

Weary years roll by, but nothing much is happening. 

The book of Habakkuk is the prophet's conversation with God and God's response to those days of uncertainty. Once God answers him and he knows that God has the future under his control (the Babylonians will exile Judah) Habakkuk is content. Not content with the outcome, for that is so sad, but happy in the knowledge that God is working out his divine purposes and in God's plans Habakkuk can rest.

Sovereign Peace and Joy

Herein lies the first comfort for Habakkuk and for us: Our hearts can rest in peace for we know that God is in sovereign control of our world, our nation and our lives. We sleep at night not because Johnson, Merkel, Trump, Putin or Jinping are at the helm, but because God, and his appointed King, the loving Lord Jesus Christ, rules over the world, our nation, the worldwide Church and our lives.

We see what remarkable peace - and joy! - pervade Habakkuk's heart in those most famous words from his book, which precede today's verse:

"Though the fig-tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crops fail and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful n God my Saviour." (3:16-18)

Let our hearts rest in the knowledge that God knows our ways and is in control.

Sovereign Power

And then, as we make our way through the months of lockdown let us depend on the Lord's power to see us through:

"The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights."

The leaping jumping deer is a vivid picture of noble and boundless power and sure footing, "then shall the lame man leap like a deer" prophecies Isaiah, (Isaiah 35:6) "He made my feet like the feet of a deer" remembers David (Psalm 18:33). 

And so it can be with us!

If we trust in the Lord's immeasurable power, the power of his Spirit working through us, then we shall be able to care for our children at home, work from a noisy and distraction-filled home, endure loneliness, persevere in the long stretches between seeing one another in person, persevere in our Zoom home groups and persevere in everything else God requires of us in this present era.

Summing it all Up

Do we come across believers of whom we ask, "Where do they get their energy and zeal? What keeps them going?" The secret of their power is simple. They, like Habakkuk, trust in God's omnipotent power.

"The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights."

In the power of Habakkuk's God and our God, we too can walk tall, walk strong and walk fast.

A SONG FOR THE DAY
A joyful song springs to mind here. The authors' desire to praise God, "Whatever lies ahead" reveals a confidence in the sovereign plans of God.

Bless the Lord oh my soul
Oh my soul
Worship His Holy name
Sing like never before
Oh my soul
I’ll worship Your Holy name

The sun comes up
It’s a new day dawning
It’s time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass
And whatever lies before me
Let me be singing
When the evening comes

You’re rich in love
And You’re slow to anger
Your name is great
And Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness
I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons
For my heart to find

And on that day
When my strength is failing
The end draws near
And my time has come
Still my soul will
Sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years
And then forevermore
Forevermore

Bless the Lord oh my soul
Oh my soul
Worship His Holy name
Sing like never before
Oh my soul
I’ll worship Your Holy name
Yes I’ll worship Your Holy name
I’ll worship Your Holy name

Songwriters: Jonas Myrin / Matt Redman

Belt it out HERE.

A PRAYER FOR THE DAY

Sovereign Lord,

We give to you the honour and praise due to your holy name.

We acknowledge with the prophet Habakkuk that while we do not understand these days, you do.

We thank you that you are enthroned above the circle of the earth.

Help us to rest in the peace and joy this knowledge gives to us.

And help us whatever our present trials, to rely upon your strength and your supernatural power.

Forgive us when we trust in our weak supplies and teach us day by day to seek to walk in Christ's mighty power.

For it is in his Name that we ask these things,

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment