Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 December 2020

Returning to Corporate Worship - my first attendance for 8 months!

 What a Weird Year!

I almost said it, "last Sunday I went back to church after 8 months." I am glad I stopped myself because I would have made the age-old mistake of confusing a building with church. I've been in fellowship over the last 8 months, but not in a larger group.

It was back in March of this year that I last worshipped with a large group of God's people at the school hall where Manor Park Church meets. 

Our church has opened up for smaller meetings since Government restictions have eased, and last Sunday evening was my first Sunday back....

 I was nervous!

Strange to say, but I was nervous about going to corporate worship! I have no idea why. It was not a fear of meeting people or a fear of the virus, but it reminded me how brave you have to be to come to a church gathering for the first time.

Part of the nervousness was mild confusion over what category of event I was going to. I have not been to any large gathering for 8 months so - don't laugh - I automatically put on my favourite aftershave (Aramis)!

Normally Aramis is reserved for dates with my wife, so that shows how confused I was about what I was going to!

I was met by masked friends

As I came into the building I was welcomed by masked friends - again this was so strange. I know eyes can smile but masks can't so we make up for smiles with welcoming words.


Old Expectations but new Rules

As soon as I came into the hall I wanted to say hello to everyone, so I wandered around the room and said my greetings - but then I realised that was a no-no, so I am having to learn new patterns of behaviour. I shan't next time.

One of our elders and our assistant pastor led the service. It was more laid back and shorter - just what we need when we are wearing those wretched masks. I will never get used to them, not least because as a wearer of glasses they steam me up all the time.

The other new rule was the need to sit in my own bubble - Yvonne and two sons, and for every bubble to be separated by a couple of metres.

 


Was it worth it?

After the short time of listening to songs and the Word it was outside where we were allowed to talk. Some folk will ask, was it worth while?

Yes it was. Getting to see our brothers and sisters is one step up from seeing them on zoom or hearing them on the phone. There is something about corporate worship that cannot be replicated in the comfort of your home. For the Lord Jesus has promised to be among his people, whether few or many are gathered in his name.

So if you haven't signed up, I'd encourage you to do so.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment